Unfortunately we do not have the space or facilities to shelter cats at The Ark. The cats and kittens you see on our website are not housed at our facilities but we can assist with the adoption or fostering processes. Should you have a cat or kitten you wish to re-home, please contact us and will happily add them to our website.
- Should I adopt a cat?
- Are you ready for the commitment of caring for a full-time pet for the next 15 years or so? Cats are generally long-lived and many reach their 20’s
- Can you provide a minimum of two 20-minute play sessions with your cat each day? This is especially important for cats who live their entire lives indoors and rely on these sessions for their exercise and stimulation.
- Do you have a cat-loving neighbour or friend who could pop in and care for the cat if you need to go away? Cats are creatures of habit who love their home comforts and may prefer to stay at home during your short breaks away.
- Does your family want a cat as much as you?
- Are you, or any family members, allergic to cats? If they are, don’t rule out cat ownership – some people are simply allergic to some types of coat. Regularly wiping the coat with a grooming wipe will also help to remove the feline saliva and dander that some people are allergic to, and you can always keep the sensitive person’s bedroom out of bounds to the cat as well. If you are at all concerned, it’s always best to check with your doctor first.
- Can you afford a cat? Providing a bed, scratching post, toys, bowls, collar, etc. can be quite costly and vet fees can sometimes make for an unpleasant surprise. Pet insurance can help spread the cost as well as offering peace of mind.
- If you already have pets, are they cat-friendly?
- Is your house near a busy road? Many cats are killed or injured in road-traffic accidents every year – so think carefully about how safe your cat will be if they are allowed outdoors.
- Are you very house-proud? A cat will leave hair on your clothes, furniture and carpets.
How do I adopt a cat?
Select a cat/kitten off the website and contact us. We will arrange for a home check to be organised and for you to meet the adoptable pet in question. Should you pass the adoption application, you will be required to sign an adoption agreement stating you will be a kind, caring and responsible cat owner.
How much will it cost me?
Being that we do not shelter cats/kittens at the Ark, we do not ask for a donation or contribution in assisting with the adoption process. The Ark do not condone the selling of pets so any cat/kitten advertised on our website will be adoptable at no additional cost.
The Ark Animal Welfare Society, Barbados
Registered Charity: No: 428
Telephone: (246) 435-4108